There are three classifications of GOES-R instruments:
• Earth-pointed “business end” of GOES
• Highly stable, precision pointed platform
• Dynamically isolated from the rest of the spacecraft
• Supports operation of the ABI and GLM
• Utilizes a Sun Pointing Platform (SPP) housed on the solar array yoke
• The SPP provides a stable platform that tracks the seasonal and daily movement of the sun relative to the spacecraft
• Supports operation of the ABI, GLM, and Unique Payload Services (UPS)
• SEISS and the Magnetometer provide localized measurements of particles and fields in geosynchronous orbit
• Accommodation challenges include:
• A wide variance in Field-of-View (FOV) requirements for the SEISS sensors
• A boom to provide relative magnetic isolation for the Magnetometer
See below to watch a video overview of the six GOES-R instrument suites and learn about the monitoring and detecting improvements they will provide.
Critical Design Review
Click here to view the GOES-R Instruments Image Gallery.